A good bar has a warm atmosphere where everyone knows your name, and, natch, it has great food and drinks plus entertainment. Frequently, it’s a bar with TVs carrying sports events. Added bonuses are old-fashioned board games or hip video games where you can start playing then find others joining. Sometimes the game can continue for days with players coming in and out.
Here are some of our favorite spots where you can play checkers, darts and other games perfect for friends in bars.
- Joystick Gamebar on Edgewood Avenue offers a variety of classic arcade games that are designed to bring out the teenager in everyone. How about Centipede, Donkey Kong, Galaga, Jurassic Park III, for starters? Joystick Gamebar often sponsors game events to help charities.
- Ormsby’s is a fancy neighborhood tavern located in Atlanta’s bustling Westside. It features a wide range of games such as backgammon, bocce, darts, pool and shuffleboard. The menu features a combination of traditional bar food such as burgers, as well as eclectic options such as sausages, Scotch eggs and roasted cauliflower.
- Churchill’s British Pub, located on a side street in Buckhead, offers the atmosphere of a true English watering hole. Decorated with pictures of the queen, this local hangout features two English ales on tap at all times as well as pool tables, darts and occasional live music.
- The Independent is a Midtown neighborhood bar that welcomes visitors who want to lift a glass and try their skill. There are two dart boards, 8 nine-foot pool tables and a Golden Tee. There also are trivia nights. You have to love a bar whose motto is “Booze, Bistro, Billiards.”
- GAME-X has something for everyone. This Downtown favorite has more than 60 of today’s favorite games as well as a few oldies but goodies. Whether its playing air hockey, throwing lay-ups or games such as Pong 180, Dark Escape 4D or Fear Fright, you’ll enjoy the fun as well as the full bar and restaurant.
- Bone Lick BBQ offers some of the best of this Southern staple in town. Located on Huff Road on the Westside, Bone Lick offers strong drinks, fantastic food, music played on vinyl records, vintage arcade games and a free skee ball lane to amuse you while you’re waiting for your food.
Whether you’re an old school retro gamer or a competitive type, you can’t go wrong with Atlanta’s gamer bar options.